Friday, October 14, 2011

Only Grace

Impatient again with my children today, I confessed my failure to God and with heartfelt tears, went an asked for forgiveness from each of my kids. They were super quick to forgive and express their love this frazzled Mamma. I know God forgave even more quickly. The more I fail, repent, and am forgiven, I realize if it were not for grace, I'd be without hope. I was studying The Lord's Prayer recently and was struck by Jesus' words: "Forgive us as we have forgiven..." We don't want God to forgive us as we have forgiven others, do we!? We want MORE grace extended to us than that. We want God's favor, but our flesh wants to hold a grudge towards an old wound or hurt. My prayer is to choose to quickly forgive when offenses come, since the Bible says it is impossible that offenses won't come. (Luke 17:1) I have been thankful for recent reconciliation in my life, and hope to learn how to better extend grace when needed. I am realizing that forgiveness is not a process. It's a choice. I certainly am far from perfect, but then, I don't claim to be perfect...

No comments: