- Prep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 35 min.
- 20 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- 1 can (21 ounces) apple pie filling
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- Arrange 10 slices of bread in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Spread with pie filling; top with remaining bread. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight. (Can be frozen for up to 2 weeks. Thaw in refrigerator the night before baking.)
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Meanwhile, place brown sugar in a small bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in pecans and corn syrup. Sprinkle over French toast.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Yield: 10 servings.