Monday, December 13, 2010

Monday Meditation

Soup Kitchen Thoughts
Soup kitchens have served free meals to hungry people for decades in times of great need. I know many people who take time out the the December busyness to donate some time to serve in this way. I admire people who do, and especially the ones who get their children involved!
Jesus said, (Matthew 25:35-36, 40) "For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me...whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me."

The "problem" with helping in these areas is that we can feel superior in some way to the very people we are trying to help. We can think "I am helping, I am doing this great thing, I, I, I......" Not all volunteer opportunities are with Christian organizations, but as Christians, our motives ought to be giving to the glory of God, and realizing that I am no better than any one of these people that are in time of need. Without Christ, we are all nothing, and but for the grace of God, there is not one thing we can do for God to love us more than He already does! (Ephesians 2:8-10)

That said, I do encourage you who maybe have the empty nest, are retired, or couples who can get babysitters for young children or you who have children who are old enough to volunteer along with you, get involved! It is always rewarding to give back and reflect on the over-abundance of blessing we have in our sadly, materialistic culture.

Here is an email to request information in your area on ways to help donate food items or volunteer time:
homelessSupport@gmail.com
Put a smile on someone's face this season!!!!

No comments: