Saturday, June 21, 2008

thinking out loud

Right now, I am spending some time at FOB (forward operating base) Mehtar Lam, Afghanistan. Its amazing to me how several months ago I would have considered this place "primitive". Now, however a place where you can shower every night, and eat three full meals a day, and have decent Internet service, qualifies as luxurious. I've forgotten what it takes to "survive" in the states. Instead I have found how little it really takes to make one happy. For example: A letter from home, a picture of a loved one, a cold bottle of water, a good book,...or a small, dirty child giving you the thumbs up and saying, "tank you, amerikee!" Its in these moments I am discovering what I consider precious in my life. In the movie Braveheart, Mel Gibson playing the part of William Wallace says, "All men die, but not all men truly live." I am grateful that in the midst of the struggle of facing the unknown and being far from home and family. I can say that with God's help, I am learning what it is to really live.

No comments: